you must have missed the bus
took a ride in the car that drives itself
instead of calling me to come and pick you up
you were my best friend
and I never saw you again
I see you on a bright read canoe
under a sliver of moon
I sit in the basement room
tables and chairs scattered in a circle
for every one of us who made it here
there have been dozens lost
we got away but what was the cost?
we got away but what was the cost?
I see their ghosts in rows
that could fill this old church to the rafters
and I wish I could say it’s a matter of fate
who will go and who will stay
but I’ve known too many souls
with hearts of gold
that couldn’t make it through
the lines and crimes and booze
the suicides and midnight rides in little red canoes
I guess I’ll see you soon
I guess I’ll see you soon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment