Thursday, October 19, 2006

Glass House

after the thirty seven dark molasses stairs
breaking beneath my feet
dropping down into the deep abyss
where all noises are silent
I felt my foot touch ground
a cool basement concrete
rooting up through my heel
with the solid force of the earth
calming my nerves
like soldering frayed
electrical wires

a shallow blue pool
crystal water barely moving
seagulls flying through the room
guiding me to
dip my foot in
slip my root downwind until
I found myself
on a cliff overlooking endless ocean

the ground was the color of clay
covering your feet as you walked up from behind me
and sat down

and then I put my arm around you
the way a sister should be held
and you smiled with an understanding
rarely ever found in meditative dreams

and here in this forest
I have found a family and peace
off the highway down the bumpy dirt road
barefoot on the white sand walkways
between the trees on planks of wood
over the bridge to the glass house
where I can sit and let sunlight seep
deep into the belly of the beast
while the mind of a free spirit
is washing over me with weeping wind
as I am laughing through the tears of letting go

standing at the edge of the cliff
throwing memories that haunt me
like dust into the wind

I tell you I love you
give you a hug and a kiss and say goodbye
back to the pool in the basement
back to the staircase
up thirty-seven steps
one last glance

close the door

No comments: