Thursday, October 19, 2006

The movie

I guess we should just be warm
even if this is that kind of oily coffee you hate
when the music isn't loud enough
and we drift in and out of each others words

spilled across the tree tops
sunlight is blocked by the canopy
so I cannot see if it is early or late
I cannot get up
from this unfamiliar bed
and slip last nights socks
on the wrong feet
for the long walk
back to harmony

today; sunny with a light breeze
seventy percent chance of a beautiful uncertainty

(is that how you put it?
I remember the airport ride
but weren't we silent?
why was the music so pretty? - we don’t like
pretty music.)

today I should just be moving on again
my feet are itchy trigger fingers.

I see us in Boston; but it's a dream of a movie set
everyone is an extra, every coffee shop is cardboard

we are searching hand in hand in snow trying to keep warm
everything is being struck around us,

I call your name into an alley but there is no echo
your hand still warms the skin between my fingers
but you are nowhere.

(like sound, warmth is a just a vibration,
people of sound we are
by definition
but weren't we silent?)

I am leaving here
I can see it now
laughing with my head tilted back
bonfire in my throat
cold city winds want to know

can teardrops melt the snow?

(where is everyone?
where is the wind?
where are we?

-we were silent
and silence
scares me)

finally the credits roll
we are warm. we are steady.

we talk about how strange
it was to be strangers once
now that we are not.

but words are just vibrations
and what comes after love?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this one is amazing to me...i love your writing. it's nice to know you sam.